A general introduction to window awnings
In the past, awnings were used just to keep rain and sun away from homes, but today, they are slowly becoming an important part of a homes architecture aesthetic value. If you haven't used or purchased window awnings before, we have a link to really good awning examples and the outline below lists the many benefits of awnings.
1. Awnings protect your window frames from the elements – sun, rain, snow, and wind. Window frames that are constructed out of wood tend to be vulnerable to damage caused by changes in the environment. Awnings can help protect your window frames from deterioration due to sudden weather changes and harsh conditions.
2. Awnings help keep away sunlight and rain away while relaxing on the patio or porch. Sitting outdoors while sipping your favorite beverage, or chatting with friends can be a very relaxing experience. But when the sun or rain is beating down it's a little hard to enjoy the great outdoors. If you have an awning that covers your patio, this problem is solved - you can relax and enjoy the outdoors rain or shine.
3. With awnings installed you can leave windows open even when it's raining. Usually, you would need to close your windows during a shower to prevent damage to the interior of your home. Some fresh air circulating in a room might be nice. If your windows have awnings you can prevent water from getting inside your house without having to shut the windows.
4. Awnings can also reduce glare on your TV or computer screens without having to block all the natural light. Normally you have to turn the blinds down or close the curtains to be able to watch TV. But with awnings installed, you can reduce glare while still allowing natural light for the rest of your room.
5. Awnings can also help cool your home during the summer months. Studies have shown that having these kinds of canopies could diminish summer heat by as much as 77%.
What to look for when purchasing awnings
There are indeed numerous advantages to having awnings installed, but it's important not be too hasty during the selection process. You need to consider certain criteria and make sure the awnings you choose are right for your home or building. When choosing between awnings you should keep in mind the following.
1. Materials – awnings are usually made of aluminum or heavy duty fabric. While fabric awnings can be more attractive, they need more maintenance. If the time required for occasional maintenance is unavailable, then you might seriously consider aluminum instead.
2. Size – the bigger the awning, the better protection it can provide. However, big awnings can look bulky and awkward. Small awnings, on the other hand, can be quite attractive but, might not be sufficient to provide the protection you need. Try to chose a size that is big enough to give the protection you need, but at the same time small enough to still look pretty and not overwhelm the exterior of your home.
3. Style – there are many styles available for awnings among them are traditional, domed, double bar, quarter barrel, waterfall, semi-circular, and gable walkway. You need to see which style would be applicable to your home.
4. Color – light colored awnings are best. They tend to block the most sunlight due to their higher reflective properties. Of course the color should still compliment the general appearance and color of your home.
Awnings provide great function for your home while also adding to the beauty and personality of your house. They improve the value of your home, the comfort level, and even improve the external appearance. Take a look at some awnings here.
Common Typos: aning, awings, waning, awing